Tuesday 27 October 2009

Tuesday 27th October

Unseasonably warm here, I have turned the heating off and haven't even had the woodburner going for the last couple of evenings.

Lots going on again as ever. We took Star out to her new home last Thursday, I think she will do well there with Ivy who was already in situ to be companion to an elderly horse who coincidentally passed away the morning that we took her over. Not planned. Emrys, a little section A pony who had been at a loan home for 3 years had to come back to us last Tuesday and went to his new home on Saturday morning. He is a lovely first pony and the children love him. A good match there I think. Alfie and Chico are to go to their new home this weekend to further their training as a driving pair. We may have homes for another couple of animals in the next few days. That is the way it seems to go here, nothing moves for quite some time and then we rehome several in quick succession. My few minutes of fame on BBC Radio Wales was broadcast this last Sunday, since then we have had contact from an animal welfare trust who heard the broadcast and wants to help us. It all helps.

Tomorrow is very interesting. We are involved in a reality nativity that is being filmed for S4C and have been asked to take a donkey along to film the trailers. We are using Eeyore, our 4 year old that came in this spring. All he has to do is walk up and down and be filmed in various poses etc. I have warned the people that you should never act with children or animals but hopefully Eeyore will rise to the occasion and do his stuff. Just in case we need a bribe to get him to move quickly we are taking Millie who has been on the set before and she will make sure he knows the ropes. That and some pony nuts, extra strong mints and a mint and molasses lick thing that he adores. I am a firm believer in bribery at times.

Friday evening is also interesting as Adrian and I are off to a black tie reception in Llanelli where we will receive a donation from the Ray Gravell and Friends Charitable Trust. Needless to say I went into panic mode as I certainly had nothing to wear having got rid of all my posh dresses etc when we moved here. I have borrowed a dress (thanks Julie) and took the bus into Carmarthen yesterday to pick up the rest of the necessities like high heels (ouch), make up (how much?), tights (4 pairs as you never know) and not least a bow tie for Adrian. That proved the most difficult to find actually. Apparently nobody in Wales must go to posh "do's" or at least not round Carmarthen and I went into 6 shops before I could find one. I am clearly out of touch with the shopping world and even more so with fashion. Anyway, I might not look like a goddess but at least I won't disgrace myself and that is the main thing. I quite enjoyed my trip into Carmarthen actually. It gave me an opportunity to wander round on my own and shop by pricing things in various places to get a good deal. And there were lots of them around.

Digit has made a full recovery and should go home soon, he hasn't contracted laminitis as a result of the steroids, sighs of relief all round. We moved lots of horses from field to field today to make the best of the grass that is left and to rest some of the fields for the winter. Which will soon be upon us I fear. It remains to be seen if it is as hard a winter as the last one. At least the pipes shouldn't freeze this time as Adrian has lagged most of them with appropriate foam thingees that will insulate to a really low temperature. I really don't want to go through another big freeze.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh - lots happening with you then! I was looking at eye shadow today (about the only thing I ever wear these days) but the one I wanted was £6 which I thought was on the steep side. Just shows how long it is since I bought some last!

    Did you get the bow tie for Adrian in the little gent's outfitters in King Street? I had similar problems when I was looking for one for D for his 6th Form Ball . . .

    Good to hear that some much-needed money is coming your way and I hope that the "do" goes well on Friday.

    ReplyDelete